The other night I was at my friend’s house and he started talking about this little kid that recited Herb Brooks “Miracle” speech at a Red Sox game earlier this month. He said that it was “hilarious” and I “had to see it” so when I got home I watched it. It was HILARIOUS and YOU GOT TO SEE IT.
First thing about this is that it is a five year old boy who is dressed up in a suit and looks very adorable. The limbic part of my brain was saying “aw…look at the little boy dressed up in suit. He is so cute.” This kid doesn’t miss a beat or get tripped up in his words he does great. Then he yells SCREW ‘EM and that is where my reptilian brain said “OH NO.” I wasn’t expecting such an out burst from the little fellow. It was great which is why I am sharing it with you.
Technology Shift
I didn’t end up seeing Josh Sacco recite this on live television. Thanks to technology I was able to go onto YouTube and watch it instantly. This type of technology was not available 15 years ago. The technology was there but no one was using it. Now people up load videos to YouTube as the action happens, technology allows us to do that. People turn to technology for most of their needs today, especially video and news.
Epistemological Shift
This video is something that you need to watch as a video. Reading a script of what Josh said would be as powerful as the video itself. A lot of the meaning and value comes from visually seeing the little boy deliver his speech and not just the speech itself.
Value Messages
The biggest value message that I saw from this video was that the Yankees spend way too much money on their baseball team. Everyone has always talked about the rivalry between the Red Sox and the Yankees, and even further, the amount of money spent on the Yankees is outrageous. We are tired of hearing about how the Yankees spend a ton of money on their players.
Ownership
Since this was at Fenway Park I feel as though the Red Sox had the ownership for Josh. The Red Sox were the ones that let Josh get out there and recite the speech. Not anyone can go on to the field at Fenway, BEFORE A GAME, and give a little speech. This boy had permission from the Red Sox in order to do this.
Humor
Josh Sacco is amazing. He is five years old and he recited the speech without any papers to follow along with and without and screw ups. This made the video even more funny because he was so good at it. He practiced this before he delivered it which is why it was so powerful.
The Real Herb Brooks
Plain Folks
Josh is just a regular kid before he gave this speech. He was just another kid on the play ground and not a child celebrity. This gave his address even more authenticity because he was not an actor. After the speech Josh may have stepped into a celebrity category not only from his address but his appearance on the Ellen DeGeneres Show.
Warm Fuzzies
Since Josh is a five year old boy it really give you a warm fuzzy feeling the first time you see him. He is in his suit, with a tie, and the first time you see and hear him start talking you cannot help but say “aww…what a cutie.” This factor makes the speech much more powerful, especially when he says “Screw ‘em!” because you are not expecting such an outburst from a small child.
Josh Sacco's Pre-Game Warm up
The Original Speech from the movie Miracle



2 comments:
This is HILARIOUS, Dan.
So funny.
Thanks for sharing - and EXCELLENT use of our power tools, too.
Brilliant.
Dr. W
VERY GOOD personal blog for this semester, Dan.
Clearly, you know how to use our Web 2.0 tools - I look forward to seeing where you go with all of this.
Bravo,
Dr. W
Post a Comment